Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] New WSCI spec competes with BPSS....

Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:
> According to a contact at Intalio (prime movers behind BPMI), and I
quote:

> > Think of wsci as an ebxml killer and the public interface to any
process,
> > making it reusable and exposing it where needed since that process
is a
> > private implementation (BPML)

Does your contact want to come out of the woodshed
and explain that statement?

How is it an "ebxml killer"?

Their own FAQ says:
"What is the relationship between WSCI and ebXML BPSS?
BPSS is ebXML's XML-based expression of a choreographed message exchange
among business partners. The view point of BPSS is always on the
exchange between the parties. An atomic exchange is called a
BusinessTransaction. BPSS allows you to specify a choreography of
BusinessTransactions. This is called a BinaryCollaboration. WSCI is a
generic expression of one party's interface to any message exchange
choreography. So while not specifically designed for BPSS, it could
serve as the description of a party's interface to either a high level
BPSS BinaryCollaboration, and/or a low level BPSS BusinessTransaction."

Why do they want to kill ebXML?
Why do you think they want to kill ebXML?
Come to think of it, there's a lot of ebXML-bashing
even on this list...

> Basically, it looks like WSCI is intended to supplant BPSS.  This is a
bit strange,
> given Sun's participation and support of ebXML initiatives.

Yeah, why would Sun want to kill ebXML?

> It distresses me that the whole world of XML-dialect standards seems
to be
> splintering as soon as you try to get anywhere beyond the basic specs
(XML, SOAP, > WSDL, UDDI) that the vendors have all agreed to.  Seems
that vendors are still
> playing their usual games vying for proprietary lock-in higher up in
the protocol
> stacks.

Hmmm. Maybe that's why they want to kill ebXML - it's not proprietary.

> I'ld be interested in hearing from Sun people that hang on this list
as to what their
> intent is regarding ebXML standards (like BPSS) versus this new WSCI p
roposal.

Good question!

Thanks for the alert,
Bob Haugen