Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] WS vs. ebXML poll

On 6/14/02 7:49 AM, "colin adam" wrote:

> That discussion highlighted for me the issue that some people may see ebxml
> and web services in competition...
> ...Until today there has been no comments.

Could it be that this is not seen as competition as pointed out by Jamie and
others?

>I welcome everyone to come and make their opinions know in the
> comments section under that article once it is published.

Not knowing what your article will present, let me point you to an article
to be published in the July issue of Web Services Journal (pages 48-52)
titled "ebXML: The Missing Ingredient for Web Services?". Too bad I am not
able to submit the text to this group until it is published. The article
supports Jamie's view that ebXML is not in competition with WS. The main
points made in the article is that ebXML provides functionality to WS so
that they can be used for industrial-strength and mission-critical
applications. Let's not forget that the ebXML infrastructure set of
specifications provides the only "open, out-of-the-box, standards-based"
solution ready for use NOW! As Jamie said, it is not a question of ebXML vs.
WS but more along the line of ebXML vs. WS-I. How come that IBM and MS after
successfully convincing ebXML to adopt SOAP decided to start up yet another
effort with the same goals? When ebXML was created the term WS did not
exist, however, had it we most likely would have not called it ebXML but
ebWS. In other words ebXML is WS there is no competition. All those points
are part of my article. I encourage you to read it.

Regards,

Klaus

--
Klaus-Dieter Naujok             UN/CEFACT/eBTWG & TMWG Chair