Subject: [ebxml-dev] Web Services and ebXML

Title: Web Services and ebXML

This thread leads me into an issue that I have been dealing with. As an ebXML and Web services enthusiast, I have been trying to find training courses for both management and consultants/developers that covers (1) 1-2 days on Web services technology; (2) 1-2 days on ebXML technology; and (3) one day to compare/contrast the two and look at sample B2B implementations using both technologies.

Any recommendations ? Any training companies out there that can customize that type of course ?

Regards.......

Mark Yader
GE GXS

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Jacques Dubray [mailto:jjd@eigner.com]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 4:29 AM
To: 'bhaugen'; andrzej@chaeron.com; 'Todd Boyle'
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] New WSCI spec competes with BPSS....

Thank you Bob, I agree, it is far more important to define the
articulation between the standards (and hopefully manage them to the
correct alignment) rather than trying to "kill" or puncture holes. This
has been my approach since the beginning. It is clear that BPML, Web
Services and ebXML are complementary. BPML deals with the automation of
internal business processes, Web Services provide the infrastructure by
which all network components provide a homogenous way to interact with
them, and ebXML deals with B2B transaction and data exchange which have
very specific (and precise) semantics as well as protocols. See without
services, a workflow engine would have to know a lot about how to access
a component. Web Services have flatten that out.

Web Services being a low level specification, it can also be used in a
lot of different scenarios (outside of BPML/ebXML). I certainly don't
understand the animosity of Web Service guys towards ebXML. I wish an
authority like Chris Ferris would step up and point at what's "rotten"
here. It will ultimately become an embarrassment to the Web Services
community as they will hold positions that make less and less sense,
throwing a shadow of doubt into the whole technology.

Overall, this whole thing is a very difficult subject, and what most of
us want is something useable, not marketing crap wrapped in fancy HTML
pages.

Jean-Jacques Dubray____________________
Chief Architect
Eigner  Precision Lifecycle Management