Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] BPSS and WSCI

Mike vehemently argues:

> However, if you're going to execute the BPSS you have to
> track it's states, and the only place you can really go for the states by
> trying to correlate them with the states available in the application.

I disagree.  A BPM engine, executing a BPSS specification of a process, can
be tracking these states independently of any back end fulfilment
applications/services.  In fact, I would venture to say that it SHOULD manage
these states separately from any internal state management in the back end
apps, since as Bob so aptly pointed out, they are at different levels of
granularity.

Since BPSS "[forces states] into a machine-processable XML document", this
is not hard to do in a BPM engine.  Basically all a BPM engine consists of is
some XML parsing code, coupled with it's own persistent data store (DBMS
perhaps) to track state for various collaborations/conversations.

As I had mentioned in a prior email, BPSS Business Transactions are
considered atomic, and as such do not need any visibility of more detailed
back end/private states...that should be transparent to the public side of the
process implementation.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com