Re: ebxml challenges...

david.lyon@computergrid.net wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> Forgive my frank way of answering; I'm just answering the question
clearly; it's
> a good question.
>
> Go visit one hundred businesses in virtually any business district and
take the
> first ones that you find. 95% won't even have an IT department.
>
> Usually the sales reps take out the price lists. Depending on the size
of the
> company and the industry, there might be anywhere from a few thousand
products
> up to 200,000. They usually have no idea what they are doing - that's
why they
> usually have to have the latest notebook. And why is it that their
flashy new
> polophonic phone rings every time you ask them a question. No time to
answer
> technical questions.
>
> Anyway, Price lists, even from international companies like Bosch as
just one
> example,are mostly distributed in PDF format. They're good to look at,
but
> would dissapoint users that have to get prices or information out of
them on a
> regular basis.
>
> These days, I would suggest, that most companies are distributing
information in
> PDF format.
>
> XML is a practically unknown format.

Thanks for the clarification. My experience is the complete opposite.
How would you respond to that, given that we are on the same planet? :)

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

> Sure there are software companies out there that write and provide quite
good
> XML solutions. Especially for the largest of companies.
>
> But for the rest, that is the 95% of the business world, I would suggest
that
> XML is totally unknown.
>
> So what happened to all the XML books?
>
> Not all the young people that have gone to universities, learnt about
XML etc
> have been able to find IT jobs in the business world. Some I know with
Masters
> [...]
> > > of
> > > corruption to where I am standing. Millions of dollars have been
taken from
> > tax
> > > payers to fund e-commerce initiatives in Australia, and what are the
> > results ?.
> > > The money seems to have dissapeared into politicians and their
friends
> > back
> > > pockets. Don't ask me, I didn't see anything!
> > >
> > > I'm sure this isn't unique, the whole dot com thing was even bigger
and
> > worse,
> > > except when it was payday, and then it was quite good. But I think
it's
> > back to
> > > reality now and that's much better.
> > >
> > > We see a lot of waste in business with faxing purchase orders. As
you know
> > they
> > > cost about $0.12c to send each one. Most of the companies I work
with send
> > > thousands upon thousands each year.
> > >
> > > If these could be delivered for say 6c each and some sort of split
for the
> > > consultants/IT integrators, then I think this would be quite a good
model.

> > > The other issue is that the interest for XML documents is not that
high in
> > the
> > > real business world. We are finding that .PDFs are a better starting
point
> > for
> > > purchase-orders and then offer XML/EDI as an additional thing. At
least
> > people
> > > can
> > >
> > > The only real alternative is to embed the logo of the company into
the XML
> > > document so that at least when it is received, it has a vague
resememblance
> > > a real world business document. Otherwise XML/ebXML is quite
useless.

> > > I do agree that for ebxml to succeed, it needs to be more inclusive.
> > Mobile
> > > phone shops survive only because they receive ongoing commissions
from the
> > > telephone companies based on call charges from the phone that was
sold.
> > imho
> > > this is the only way that something like ebxml can actually grow and
> > survive in
> > > the business world. People lose interest if there is nothing in it
for
> > them.
> > >
> > > VANs had there time, and are still going. But ebxml needs not only a
solid
> > > technical model, but a sound business model. Why can't it be like
open
> > source
> > > where everybody can make money out of it?

SMEs

Australian
Interchange

<http://www.oasis-open.org>